My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
betweenbrushstrokes.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sometimes no plans are the best plans

On my last day in Florence I left very early in the morning to get in line at the Accademia to see the David. The museum lineups in Florence are ridiculous. After waiting 40 minutes I finally got in.

When I turned the first corner in the museum I looked up and there he was at the very end. All five meters of him. David is magnificent! I'm so glad I made it in. The immense size of the statue is shocking. You cannot take your eyes off him. He really knows how to dominate a room.

I sat there for quite awhile just taking in each part of him. The fine veins in his hands and arms are so perfect and look real. The longer you look at him, the more you see. His face from straight on looks serene, then you move a few feet around him and you see his face is almost menacing. Very cool. His position makes it look like he's just about to move. And I never knew he was carrying the slingshot that took out Goliath on his back. (The following photo is from a replica of the David)


I also took some time to see other peoples expression when they first entered the room. It was pretty much the same. Eyes widen, a quick gasp, and then utter silence. How many things do that to so many people? Especially in a city dominated with amazing statues everywhere you step.

Afterwards, I thought I would take a chance at the Uffizi gallery one last time as it was still early and not yet open. I got in the gigantic line and waited with a couple from London on their honeymoon. She was patient to wait and he was ready to split. After an hour of waiting and chatting we got to a part of the line that said it was still a three hour wait to get in. Forget that! I don't want to waste my whole day in line.


So I left and ventured up some steep streets and steps to get to the Michelangelo Piazzale. After all my huffing and puffing it was worth it. The views of Florence from up there are spectacular. It was a bit hazy out, but the climb was worth it.





While up there I saw a man painting some watercolors. I fell in love with one of his pieces of the Tuscan countryside with poppies and daisies in it. He made me a deal and I was a happy camper. Also, another man was playing a quiet electric guitar of some great classic songs. I left after he finished "What a wonderful world."

I then ventured up to the church San Miniato al Monte. It is a monastery that is open to the public. Just as I entered the monks started their prayer time. I sat on some steps and watched and listened to them as they chanted and prayed. It was beautiful and so peaceful. It brought tears to my eyes. I wasn't the only one though. I noticed a young man wiping his eyes too.


Hmm, I think I will take that day over a day waiting in line. Now on to Rome, The Eternal City.

Statues from the Loggia dei Lanzi:








The Mona Lisa's from my hotel (nice tits):



1 comment:

  1. I want to hear every detail about Italy! See you soon. BB

    ReplyDelete