My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
betweenbrushstrokes.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bed Knobs & Broomsticks and mummies, huh?

Yesterday I took the London Underground for the first time. Hello, that system is simple! Everyone told me it is, but I had doubts because every time I saw the map, it was confusing. Well, it took me one short metro ride to figure it out. That's what colour coding does, it simplifies things.

Anyway, I went to Saturday's market on Portobello Road in the morning. Now a lot of people I know remember it from the movie "Notting Hill." As I am an old hag - my web teams nickname for me - I remember it from the movie "Bed Knobs & Broomsticks." If anyone remembers that movie they should remember the song about Portobello Road and all the great things you will find there.

What I found? A great way to spend a morning. It was fun talking to the shopkeepers, looking at their treasures and just absorbing a really vibrant atmosphere. I did buy one treasure, a nice tartan scarf made in Ireland. It was the one thing I saw that I definitely wanted. Must of been the Irish in me. When we aren't drinking, we are making great woolen things. I think?

After the market, I hopped on the metro and dashed down to The British Museum. I know I am excited about everything I am seeing, but I have been waiting for years to see this place. And it exceeded expectations! Everything I saw was fascinating, but I really wanted to see the Egyptian pieces. WOW. They have so much.

The first thing was the Rosetta Stone. The crowds around it are immense, but if you are patient, you will eventually get close. It literally took my breath away. I audibly gasped when I walked up to it. I never thought it would do that to me, but it did. It's so pristine and so old.

Everything in that exhibit is old. You start to feel really small when you walk by pieces that are dated 2500 B.C. Supposedly they have artifacts that date back to 10,000 B.C. Sweet jeebus!

Another piece that floored me was "Aztec turquoise double-headed serpent." It's not too large, but the colour in it is so vibrant. It's pretty kick-ass. It was the last item I was able to get a picture of before my camera battery died. ARGH, how can it die at that place? It's probably for the better. You start to get too picture happy and forget to really look at and absorb an object and think about how it makes you feel.

They also have a very nice library there too. It holds some great pieces. I got to look at a coin collection of each King and Queen. I really admire Queen Elizabeth I, so it was a treat to see her two coins. She was a pretty cool chick.

After the museum, I walked down Charring Cross Road and stumbled into the theatre district. It's hopping! People everywhere on the streets just talking and drinking. I wanted to go to a show, but I was exhausted and it was too late, so I just came back to the hotel.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Portabello Road. I like the "antique" tin signs in particular.

    Another tip, note that the tube map is not to scale with the map of London. A tube station may appear close but is either next door or a km away.

    ReplyDelete