My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
betweenbrushstrokes.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cottage country

Today I did another bus tour, this one taking me to Blenheim Palace and three towns in the Cotswolds. The area is breathtaking. The thatched-roof limestone houses together with all the rolling hills and farm animals makes this place a totally relaxing and lazy place to visit.

Our guide Sue was hilarious. She was that "cheeky mum" sort. She sounded all prim and proper, but she had some of the funniest stories about the area. She talked about the Queen's old voluptuous figure and all the sordid stuff that goes on between the gentry in the country. I found it hilarious, I think some of the old codgers on the tour were a little offended. Ha, whatever.

Our first stop was Blenheim Palace, the residence of the Duke of Marlborough. Wow, what a gigantic place. Churchill was born there and there is so much history inside. As we only had an hour there, I just beelined it outside to look at the immense property. The palace backs onto a lake and the gardens that overlook the lake are picture perfect. It was a little chilly, but I did find a nice old stone bench in the sun to sit on that had both a view of the lake and garden. The bench was so old that I wondered how many illicit rendezvous were had here over the centuries? While sitting there a boater paddled by.











After the palace we ventured into Burford. Everyone on the bus but me paid extra money for lunch. Here's a tip, never do that on a bus tour. Get your own lunch. There were tons of cafe's and pubs on the main strip. While the bus people were sitting down for an hour of mediocre lunch, I picked up a small quiche, found an old church and graveyard and parked it there to eat. What a great find. The graveyard is so pretty and old and there was a tiny walking path under a tree canopy that I couldn't resist. What I found was another bench overlooking the stream and not a soul around. I parked my butt there for a good 20 minutes.





As I was taking in the view, what starts gliding down the stream? Two white swans. Are you kidding me? It was like they were on cue. I could have sat there all day.


This area makes you think, "why don't I move here? This is ideal." I actually met a man walking through the stores that was from New Zealand and visited last year and has now moved him and his wife here. He said he was only a few years from retirement, so why not. Good for him!


The next two towns were Stoll-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water. Both were beautiful. I wish I had more time to look around the area. They really just park you there to shop, but every store carries the same crap. Although, in Stoll I did find some art to buy. I walked by this tiny store and there was a man painting a beautiful watercolour of a house in the area. He, Peter Dean, was such a nice guy and wanted to show me everything, but nothing was catching my eye.

I was about to leave with nothing when I noticed a very simple painting of a water bottle. I liked the colour of it. He said it was one of his from his sketchbook. I looked through the book and found another one I liked. I asked if he would sell them and give me a deal. He was shocked I wanted them, he said he has never sold from his sketchbook before. He gave me his card when I left. It says Peter Dean, Bio Chemist. Haha He is actually a geneticist. Very cool.

A good day was had in the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment