My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
betweenbrushstrokes.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 13, 2010

A tourist says moo

I just realized I haven't discussed my hotel yet. It's very English and I mean that in the nicest way. I'm staying at The Cadogan Hotel. It is famous for being the hotel that Oscar Wilde was arrested in for "acts of gross indecency with another male" in 1895. The hotel is celebrating the 115th anniversary this year. Kinda funny, doncha think?

The hotel is in the borough of Chelsea. This area is total high class. Down the street to the left is Harrods and Harvey Nichols; to the right, Tiffany and Cartier; with Gucci, Versace, Armani filling in the gaps. I'm the frumpiest person around! Everyone is dressed to the nines and almost every man I see wears tailored clothes. It really makes a difference. No "pants on the ground, looking like a fool" here.

My room is not too big, but it is extremely cozy. The bed is comfortable, the bathroom is all marble and clean and it has classic furniture. Not your typical Holiday Inn! They clean the bed everyday and they also turn it down for you at night. They even give you a nice goodnight note with famous quotes and the next day's weather. Charming.





The staff are excellent and so polite. They all know your name and they do everything they can to help. On Sunday I had my first breakfast here. It is not your typical continental breakfast. Tons of pastry's and fresh fruit salads and juices. Like fresh fresh. The dining room looks like it's out of a Jane Austin novel/movie with classical music playing. Seriously.

Now, about my first bus tour. I enjoyed the places I saw: Changing of the guard, St. Paul's Cathedral, Covent Garden, Thames river ride, Tower of London and the London Eye. But I didn't like feeling like cattle being shuffled along. It's not really me. I'm grateful I did it though, because I wouldn't have seen all those places.

The Tower of London was impressive. So much there and so much history. I could have spent half a day there at least (I only had an hour). I mean, this is the place that Queen Elizabeth I was kept and Anne Boleyn was beheaded with so many others. It's just cool. Then to see the Crown Jewels. Impressive. The scepter has a diamond as big as an egg! I had to have another look!


Chillin with a Beefeater. Fascinating history those guys have.


The London Eye was pretty cool. You don't even feel like you're moving on it and it never stops. You get on and off while it is moving.

Today I went to Harrods. That place is too big and too expensive. I got some souvenirs then left. I just wasn't into looking at expensive goods for fun. That's a waste of time here!

After Harrods I went to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. They were cool, but were geared more for kids. I didn't spend too much time in either. I instead went back to the V&A museum to see the "Grace Kelly, Style Icon" exhibit. It had many of her famous clothes and accessories. I saw the dress she wore when she won an Oscar. Very nice. I took a pic, then got in trouble for taking said pic. Oh well.

Tonight I went and saw the musical "Billy Elliot" at the Victoria Palace Theatre. It was very good. The kid in it did an amazing job of singing and dancing.

By the size of this post, I would say it's been a hectic few days. Tomorrow is calling for rain. I wonder what I should do? Visit the parks in the rain or shop?

Sorry if my grammar is horrible. I write these late at night and don't really have the time to edit or review them.

2 comments:

  1. Rain in London = more museums. You may like Tate Modern... art museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I'm done with museums. It's parks and gardens day for me.

    ReplyDelete